Starbucks, Comfort Inn & Suites heading to CrossPlex Village
Reading time 2 minutes
What is happening at Five Points West as the CrossPlex Village development project continues to grow?
CrossPlex: sporting events and more
The 38-acre development adjacent to the Crossplex campus began construction last January. If you haven’t been to the facility for an indoor sporting event, go ahead! The Birmingham CrossPlex is home to impressive details such as:
- A 5,000-seat arena with an area of 20,000 square feet
- A natatorium for swimming and diving competitions certified for water polo and has 1000 seats
- A high-tech indoor track (Olympic worthy, for real)
- A track that can be transformed into nine volleyball courts and 4,000 seats
Starbucks, hotel, what else?
According to Bob Nesbitt, the developer and head of the Urban Community Development Consortium (UCDC), here are the details of what’s coming and when:
- The Comfort Inn & Suites is scheduled to open in September. Yes, they are recruiting. Here is the link to apply.
- It looks like an opening in May for Starbucks and a Sprint store.
- Construction of a Golden Rule Bar-BQ and Grill is also slated to begin in May.
- Also in May: a building for hairdressers and hairdressers is expected to start construction.
- A Walgreens is planned for summer construction.
- The developers are planning an amphitheater and are hoping for a bowling or other family activity on the property.
- Oh, and a mystery! Nesbitt plans to announce soon the occupant of a 15,000 square foot restaurant in CrossPlex Village. What do you think it will be?
Starbucks and professional training
The Starbucks at CrossPlex Village will be a training center and part of the company’s Youth Opportunity Initiative program.
Starbucks will use the location to train up to 30 employees, as well as train other directors and key Starbucks members across the country, according to the UCDC.